Thursday, June 16, 2011

Foam Letter ABCs made with Cricut

These ABC Letters were cut using Foam 4 X 6 " squares.They were cut using the Cricut and the Gypsy.
The Foam Squares uncut. 
The Foam squares were placed on the 6 X 12 " mat.  I put them down so that they were sideways.  Doing so, I was able to get three to a mat, and thus cut three letters at a time.



I had to play with the numbers a bit so as you can see my first batches (A - F) had to be cut with the Exacto tool.  Also, some letters are very fragile and while I had my friend's four year old helping, she ripped them in half on accident.  The slightest extra tug on certain letters (i.e. D, E, M) caused the letter to rip and need to be re-cut.


By the time I got to the end I figured out a good cut to use.  I ended up using the following settings:Pressure: 5, Speed: 5, Depth: 4, and Cut Over: 3 (where the Cricut does the same cut three times).  This made it so that the letters were easier and less delicate during removal.

 



I was able to get a triangle and a circle from the inside of the A and the O respectively.
Certain letters were able to keep the negative space to be used as tracers or in another letter project, whereas others were not.  You can see above some examples of each.



The biggest lesson I learned today however was about the cutting mat.  My cutting mat is not too sticky anymore which made the foam squares come off in mid cut at times.  A new one is definitely due!

No comments:

Post a Comment